?>

Berrettini backs mandatory COVID-19 vaccines at Australian Open


Italy’s world number seven Matteo Berrettini has thrown his support behind the decision to make COVID-19 vaccinations mandatory for players at next monthโ€™s Australian Open.

In November, tournament chief Craig Tiley said all players competing at the first Grand Slam event of 2022 must be fully inoculated, following months of negotiations between Tennis Australia and the Victoria state government.

โ€œI have been vaccinated and from that moment things have got better. I think that the request of the Australian Government is sensible,” Berrettini told Italy’s Sportface website on Monday.

READ:
Six Moroccan players given lengthy bans for corruption

The measure has thrown the involvement in the tournament of Serbia’s Novak Djokovic into doubt, as the world number one has yet to disclose his vaccination status.

But Berrettini backed the decision, after having to quarantine for two weeks in a hotel in the lead-up to last yearโ€™s Australian Open.

ALSO READ:
Raducanu tests positive for COVID-19, out of exhibition event in Abu Dhabi

โ€œLast year we tried out something difficult. I would not wish two weeks of quarantine, like we had in 2021, on anyone,” he said.

โ€œFor me, getting vaccinated is the right thing to do to get the world going again.โ€

The 25-year-old had to withdraw from last monthโ€™s ATP Finals through injury, but confirmed he will return for the season-opening ATP Cup in Sydney and Australian Open in Melbourne.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.