Salernitana is in danger of being removed from Italy’s Serie A after no acceptable offers were made in a forced sale of the club.
Originally owned by Lazio president Claudio Lotito, the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) said at the start of the season that Salernitana, promoted to Serie A for the first time in 23 years, must change how it is run as it breached ownership rules.
Article 16 of the licensing and registration regulations for clubs prohibits individuals from owning multiple teams in the same division. Control of Salernitana was handed over to a trust that was ordered to find a buyer by the end of the year.
Italian FA ends investigation into Luis Suarez’s language test
However, the Trust Salernitana 2021 announced on Thursday that none of the offers received were acceptable because it failed to meet the requirements, either for price, independence of the proposed buyers, or due to a lack of financial guarantees.
The Campania club said it informed the FIGC of the lack of suitable offers and was seeking an extension for the sale so as to remain in Serie A.
After a meeting of Serie A club representatives on Thursday, the league has made a request to the FIGC to keep Salernitana in the top flight until the end of the season while they try to find a buyer.
Salernitana sits bottom of the standings in Serie A ahead of its clash with champion Inter Milan on Friday, having won two of its 17 matches so far this term.